Friday, July 15, 2011

The Novice's Guide to Moving Across the Country

Here are some lessons I have learned in moving from NC to CA:
1. Traffic laws are different in every state. In CA, they are just strange. The first time I saw a motorcycle drive between the two lanes of traffic, I was irritated with the driver. Then I found out it was legal.
2. Make an appointment at the DMV. The line was out the door and around the corner of the building. And when you go to the DMV with your two energetic boys in tow, remember to take a bag full of things to do. And remind them that they are not allowed to talk to you during your written driving test! And it helps to tell them that the police are watching them from the back room on cameras. (I have asked forgiveness for that one!)
3. You don't need winter jackets in CA during the month of July! I really could have let the movers pack them on the truck.
4. GPS is a beautiful thing! I would probably still be lost in downtown Turlock somewhere if I didn't have it.
5. It's going to take a while to find a new hair girl. Enough said.
6. The laundromat isn't THAT bad. But, I still miss my washer and dryer.
7. I'm mostly stronger than I thought I was.
8. Job hunting stinks.
9. I can survive with 4 plates, 4 bowls, 6 cups, camping chairs, and air mattresses. However, I prefer not to.
10. God is God in California, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment