Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How to Effectively Parent in Public Schools (Day 1)

So, there has been a series swirling around in my head for quite some time now.  But, with all the commotion of moving and renovating, it has been on the back burner.  October seems like the perfect month to make this happen even though I am starting 4 days late.  So instead of "31 days of Effectively Parenting in Public Schools" it will be more like 27 days...or less. 

There is no debate on the impact of parental involvement in your child's education.  In one article the researchers stated,"We found that schools would need to increase per-pupil spending by more than $1,000 in order to achieve the same results that are gained with parental involvement"!  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080527123852.htm  We are familiar with and sick of hearing about budget cuts and increased class sizes.  We know that there is NO way that schools are going to increase funding by $1,000 per child!! The statistics make it so much more imperative the YOU are involved in YOUR child's education!  While your child's teacher has been hired to educate your child, it does not mean that you have to be hands off.  However, in my humble opinion and experience, there is a right way and a not-so-right way to be involved.  So over the next 27 days, I hope to give you some insight and advise, however unsolicited, on how to be involved without smothering your child!

Here are some of the topics I plan to cover:
  • The day in the life of your child's teacher
  • Understanding curriculum and teacher jargon
  • How to avoid being a helicopter parent
  • Resolving conflict with your child's teacher
  • Homework (UGH!)
  • Fundraisers
  • Volunteering
  • Personality conflicts
  • Advocating for your child
I hope you will enjoy this series.  Please let me know if there is anything specifically that you want me to address.  I am happy to!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading these topics. I also use to be in the education field before being a parent/SAHM. I can't wait to see what you have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please write the helicopter parent part ASAP - Well really write it all...I can't wait to read it - I sent chocolate to the teachers Friday - it was a big hit! Thanks my dear friend

    ReplyDelete