Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reunited after 17 years!


The summer between my sophomore and junior years in high school was one to remember.  I spent that summer living with a family in a small town in Mexico.  I learned how to speak Spanish, eat tortillas and homemade salsa, and drink Yolis out of a plastic bag.  I also learned about friendship, family, and love.

I was blessed to stay with an amazing family of four girls led by a strong man and his hard working wife.  Cecy was also in high school that summer.  She seized an opportunity presented by her teacher to bring in an American student.  Little did this family know that their American student would be a crazy chic from Michigan!

Cecy and I became fast friends.  She was patient and kind with my very poor (very, very poor) Spanish.  We had lots of fun that summer.  I probably had more fun than was allowed for a 15 year old!

We stayed in touch over several years with visits interspersed during vacations.  However, with the passage of time, I lost contact with this sweet family.  Through the years, I would come across the photo albums of my time in Mexico and wonder where they were and how they were doing.

About 10 years ago, Cecy got in contact with me through my mom.  I learned that they were in the US now.  Again we fell out of contact. Then about a year ago, Cecy found me on Facebook!  The family was in the throws of tragedy with their patriarch in the hospital dying from cancer.  This wasn't their first battle with cancer as it turns out.  One of the four girls also has courageously faced the demon and still suffers from the repercussions.  Shortly after our Facebook reunion, Abel lost his battle with cancer.  My heart aches that I wasn't able to see him again this side of heaven.

As it turns out, when our family moved from one coast the other, we were able to reunite with Cecy and her family for a fantastic weekend!  More of those details to come.  It was wonderful to see them and hug them again.  It was that weird feeling that no time had passed and yet so much has happened in both of our lives. 

Now our families will enjoy many years of friendship! 

No comments:

Post a Comment